Tuesday, March 16, 2010

1810 Orange County, VA Tax List


William Reed, was the only Reed listed in the 1810 Orange County, VA Tax List, as shown above. Unfortunately, if this is our William Reed, this record does show him as having one slave above the age of sixteen. William appeared to have two houses on his property, along with two stud horses or mules. His tax obligation was 1 pound 24 shillings.

William's wife Dicey Rumsey, was likely the daughter or sister of William or Elijah Rumsey, as listed below. The Rumseys apparently had more money as they had 3 to 5 slaves, and paid taxes of 2 pounds 12 shillings and 3 pounds 36 shillings respectively. It is possible that Elijah was the father of William and Dicey given that he had the larger amount of resources that included two houses and three stud horses or mules. Of course, Dicey may be the daughter of the only Rumsey listed on the tax records for Orange Co. in 1800, Thomas Rumsey.



Interestingly, there are no entries for a Crayton/Creighton family, which may likely indicate that William Read, Jr.'s wife Lucinda Crayton's family did not arrive in Orange County until after 1810.

(Source: http://www.binnsgenealogy.com/FreeSample/CDR-000457/1810/index.htm)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I am wondering if you can tell me whether Reeds Gap at the intersection of 664 and the Blue Ridge Parkway in Augusta Co, Va is named for your family. If so, do you know anything of their activities in that area?

Thank you,
Ben (bjasnow@hotmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Sometimes I think that my life has no sense, but when I visit blogs like yours I find myself happy. Keep writing on.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post. I like the way you write, and I hope you won't stop doing that.